09 September 2009

The James Tiptree Award Anthology 1: Sex, the Future, and Chocolate Chip Cookies

The James Tiptree Award Anthology 1: Sex, the Future, & Chocolate Chip Cookies The James Tiptree Award Anthology 1: Sex, the Future, & Chocolate Chip Cookies by Karen Joy Fowler

My rating: 4 of 5 stars
I wrote my senior thesis for the KU Women's Studies department on James Tiptree, and I had been wanting the anthologies ever since. I mean, the titles alone would have sold me. :)

In this anthology, you'll find short stories, critical essays, even letters from Alice Sheldon (James Tiptree) herself. If you don't know who James Tiptree is, go now and Wiki it. I'll wait.

Fascinating stuff. So much in the Tiptree stories turns gender on its head. They're exciting, bright, well-crafted stories, and well-worthy of having an award named after them. I won't say every Tiptree nominee has knocked my socks off, but they certainly have all TRIED.

I recommend this, and any Tiptree short stories you can get your hands on, to any fans of the genre.


View all my reviews >>

No comments: