10 March 2010

The Sharing Knife: Passage

Passage (The Sharing Knife, #3) Passage by Lois McMaster Bujold

My rating: 4 of 5 stars
A friend of my commented that these books felt similar in tone to Firefly, and I have to agree. There's a folksiness to the tone and the dialogue that feels a great deal like the crew of Serenity, and Nathan Fillion would make an excellent Dag.

This book was a fairly seamless continuation of the story from the first two novels. Our protagonists have opted for a sort of self-banishment from the Lakewalker community where they had been living, and they join a riverboat crew, traveling south down a Mississippi-like river so that Fawn can see the sea for the first time. Of course, because it's an adventure story, that's only the beginning of their story, and hijinks ensue from there.

While I didn't enjoy it as much as I liked the first two books, it remains a solid installment in the series. I'm hopeful it's a transitional part of the story, and that the final volume in the series will return to the conflicts still unresolved from the first two books.

As always, Bujold's world building is as solid at just about anyone's, and unlike other novels of hers I have read, she's created two main characters it would be difficult not to like and cheer for.

View all my reviews >>

No comments: