03 November 2008

Rachel Maddow gets it.







I live in a state now that votes entirely by mail.  To me, that's the most democratic way to conduct elections, since it allows me to vote at will, after careful consideration.  I can research.  I can consider for up to two weeks who deserves my vote.  Once I have done so, and the ballot is complete, I can mail it on my own stamps, or I can take it to an official drop box here in town.  They look like white mailboxes, and there's a fair number of them around.  I never need to worry about taking time off to go vote.

When I did need to go to place to physically vote--when I lived in Kansas--my voting precinct never had more than a 10 minute wait.  I can't imagine being an hourly employee and arriving at my polling place to a 6 or more hour wait on election day.  Had I ever confronted that on my way to work, I wouldn't have been able to stay and vote.  That such things happen in my country is outrageous to me, and that they happen disproportionately in poor districts amounts to the kind of covert racism that has no place in a 21st century democracy.

I can only hope that the new administration and the 111th Congress make lasting and thoughtful election reform an act of the first 100 days.

2 comments:

Mari said...

James and I voted last week down at the courthouse and there was a wait! That is certainly new.
20K additional voters have registered in Lawrence since 2004 and they are expected an 80%+ turnout here.

Gods, this is exciting!!

Kristen said...

That's amazing. I haven't checked the Lane County results for ballot return for a few hours, but I think turnout was around 70% this morning at 7 AM.